It's a GAD GAD World
Saturday, December 24, 2005
 
SO THIS IS CHRISTMAS, WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I briefly ran into my neighbor this afternoon while doing laundry. Apart from that, I haven't spoken to anyone all day. And I don't anticipate speaking to anyone till tomorrow night, when I call my friends in North Carolina.

I was listening to a Celtic radio program this afternoon. (Not that I'm really into Celtic, but WFUV is the only radio station I can stand--I HATE commercial radio!--and Celtic is what they play on the weekends.) Anyway, the host said something to the effect of: Many people claim that they're not as excited about Christmas as they used to be, what with shrinking incomes and worsening circumstances. So if you're one of those people whose cup is filled with weak punch when once it was filled with sparkling wine, have another glass, smile, and be thankful it's not worse.

So that's what I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to tell myself that tomorrow is simply another day, and the fact that I'm spending it alone doesn't make me any less of a human being.

And if you're one of the many crazy people out there spending tomorrow alone like me (or worse, spending it with family who make you feel like shit), know that I feel your pain.

I've had a bit of work since last I blogged. The first couple weeks of December I had a brief stint at Academic Medical Center. I spent the bulk of my time reading magazines. And scoring free food. Then last week I put in 3 days at a financial firm doing basically nothing except babysitting the phone. I'd go back to that place just for the food. Holy crap, they had catered breakfast & lunch EVERY DAY, plus fridges stocked with soda & water. And yes, I smuggled some home with me. I'm a pig, I admit it, but when you don't know how long your next job is going to last, you gotta take what you can get.

Speaking of my next job, I'll be working for a newspaper. I have no clue exactly WHAT I'll be doing, except that I'll be some honcho's assistant. And I'll be getting $17/hour. That's a hell of a lot more than I made working at Famous Hospital. And it's almost as much as I made at the piano store.

I also had an interview at a college this past week. They'll be inviting finalists back sometime after 1/3. My initial interview went well, so I'm optimistic. The salary is good, and I'd basically be getting SIX WEEKS of vacation a year. The school is closed 2 weeks out of the year, I'd get 2 weeks vacation off the bat, plus one week of PTO, then when you factor in holidays...believe me, I've got everything I have 2 of crossed on this one! :)

My dinner will be ready soon. Hang in there, all you lonely freaks out there!

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger