It's a GAD GAD World
Thursday, July 27, 2006
 
STILL DEPRESSED, BUT NOT AS FUCK
Thanks to Missy & gadguy for your comments.

I'm feeling slightly better than I was when I last posted. This could be because my midday dose of neurontin is actually doing something for me. It could also be because I've spent the past 2 days working in a different (read: less stressful) environment than the one I normally work in.

Gadguy mentioned Effexor, so I'm going to comment on it. I'm glad Effexor works for gadguy & anyone else out there who's had positive results. As for me, I consider it to be an evil drug from hell. It turned me overnight into a weepy miserable zombie. I started taking it on 8/15/03, the day of the Northeast blackout. (How fucking ironic and appropriate.) The following Monday I had an appt w/my p-doc. (Not my current p-doc, but the asshole who dumped me when he knew full well I didn't have health insurance simply because he couldn't be bothered with me anymore.) He took one look at me and said, "Why don't we just take you off meds completely for the next 2 weeks?" Good idea, Captain Obvious!

Gadguy also mentioned psychotherapy, so I'll talk about that here too. No, my current p-doc doesn't do psychotherapy. Which is a good thing, because her listening skills tend to suck. I'll be talking to her sometimes, & she'll veer off on a completely different tangent. I think she might be ADD or something.

I'm not a big supporter of psychotherapy anyway. I know that for some people it's been extremely helpful, and if it's helped you, then more power to you! But I've tried it a couple of times & it didn't do a damn thing to help me. Think of it this way: Effexor didn't do a damn thing for me, in fact it made me worse, but that doesn't mean I think it should be wiped off the face of the earth. I know it helps some people. Same with psychotherapy. I don't condemn it, but it didn't help me.

It's like a catch-22: If I'm on meds & they're working, then I don't need therapy. If the meds aren't working, then therapy isn't going to help.

That's about all the blogging I've got in me for today, folks. Again, thanks for your comments!

Comments:
I ran across your blog as I was searching for additional information about GAD. I don't know whether you've tried Prozac or not, but perhaps it might help with your depression? I've struggled with that before, too, and it helped me through it. Personally, I didn't have any negative side effects at all from it -- I just didn't feel depressed anymore. Anyway, you may have already tried/dismissed it, but I thought I would go ahead and mention it just in case you haven't.
 
Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger