It's a GAD GAD World
Thursday, November 22, 2007
 
TURKEY DAY
The Family Thanksgiving Dinner...that time-honored tradition where millions of Americans travel hundreds if not thousands of miles to be together so they can spend an entire weekend psychologically abusing one another. And then they eat turkey.

You see? Being estranged from one's family has its advantages. I don't have to put up with that shit anymore!

If, like me, you find yourself alone on this holiday, I offer the following suggestion. Sit down in a quiet place with paper and a writing implement. Then think of 10 things you are thankful for and write them down. The things you write down may be very basic. Maybe you're thankful you're physically healthy, or you're thankful that you could afford your meds this month. But come up with 10 things and write them down. Then put the piece of paper in a drawer and save it till this time next year.

Hopefully by this time next year the world will have changed completely. We'll have world peace, the earth will be saved, and no one will ever have to be lonely on a holiday ever again. But if not, the 10 things you wrote down today will help you see that life isn't all bad. Just maybe 80-90% bad.

As for me, I'm thankful for my big, strong, beautiful cat. I'm thankful I have a job that pays my bills & my rent. I'm thankful I have a relatively cheap apartment in a place where mass transit and easily-walked-to things are accessible. I'm thankful for other things too, but I'm not going to share EVERYTHING in a public blog!

My only wish is for the same thing I wish for every year around the holidays. I wish someone would call me. That's it. Just a phone call. I'm not interested in taking away a free meal from someone who needs it more than I do. I just want someone to acknowledge my existence. That's it.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger