It's a GAD GAD World
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
 
STIR-CRAZY, OR MAYBE NO STIRRING NECESSARY
"Suck it up, New York. It was a Blizzard, for godssake. I can't tell whether we are all being big BABIES (uh, YEAH, it's gonna take a while to dig out after a DISASTER !) OR if the budget cutters cut the wrong line item?? "

These are the exact words uttered by a NYC radio DJ this morning. And I've been wanting to smack the DJ ever since.

News broke this evening about a woman in Crown Heights, Brooklyn who went into labor at 8:30am Monday morning. She called for an ambulance, which did not arrive until after 6pm that evening. The woman had to deliver in the vestibule of her building. Her baby was born unconscious, and later died.

Elsewhere in NYC there was an elderly woman who called 911 complaining of chest pains. The ambulance arrived 6 hours later, but by that time the woman was already dead of an apparent heart attack.

I cordially invite this DJ to contact the grieving mother and tell her to suck it up. I also invite the DJ to contact the family of the heart attack victim and call them a bunch of babies.

This has been bugging me all day. How have we as a society become this callous and insensitive? I know intellectually that this was just a stupid comment and I should just let it go. Unfortunately my intellect and my emotions aren't often on speaking terms.

On top of this, I haven't left the apartment since yesterday morning & I'm getting anxious about going back to work on Monday. Oy.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger